My Story

My life had been rolling along pretty normally. Nothing really too exciting about me. Actually, I'm boring, let's be honest. Small town country girl who married her college sweetheart. Been married over 15 years and I guess taking "life" for granted. Because on January 2, 2014, our lives changed forever when the husband was diagnosed with cancer. Wow, there's a wake up call! Fortunately, we were blessed to learn he had a solitary plasmocytoma and no other cancer was located. His cure odds are high with treatment. Unfortunately, this plasma cancer can always rear it's ugly head elsewhere or progress into multiple myeloma. That uncertainty leads me to raise money for multiple myeloma research. Why not help fund research that one day could save my husband's life? Many things are out of my control in C-town but this, this I can control. I run to raise funds and awareness for an illness that I hope to never personally meet.


Saturday, July 12, 2014

Cancerville Athlete

After the husband was diagnosed in January, I felt helpless. I needed something to "do". While reading one of my support books, I came across this, "See yourself becoming a Cancerville athlete and going the distance for your loved one." -William Penzer, Ph.D.  I took it more literal being a runner. I will go the distance for the husband. I was already registered to run the Miracle Match Half Marathon at the end of January. The focus of the race was to support bone marrow registration.  Never did I expect when I signed up months before that it would hit so close to home!  I was able to rally friends and family to get swabbed for the registry.  The husband may one day need a bone marrow transplant. Now I'm a proud member and if I match a person in need, I will happily donate.

I couldn't stop with the Miracle Match. I needed something to focus on further down the line to keep me busy. So I checked out some websites and located the Multiple Myeloma Research Fund Endurance Team.  I signed up with the team and pledged to raise at least $1500 for research. In doing so, I had to find a race to compete in and I chose the Fort Worth Half Marathon on November 9, 2014.

Now the training has begun. Unfortunately, I had a three month setback with an injury but I was recently cleared to run again. Yay! It's a slow return but I'm going to be ready. I told the husband if I have another injury, i will walk the 13 miles. Regardless, I am going to complete this race.

So this blog will be my training journey and thoughts while I go the distance for my hubby. My training just started this week. Today I ran a slow 4 miles but my heel felt great. Two thumbs up!




No comments:

Post a Comment

On your mark, get set, GO!